- Submissions are invited exclusively through Submittable, our online submissions manager. We do not have the staff capacity to read or respond to manuscripts that are submitted by email or mail.
- We accept book-length poetry manuscripts only. While we are open to poets and translators at every stage of their career, we exclusively read poetry. No fiction or prose nonfiction will be accepted.
- Manuscripts should be at least 45 pages and no longer than 200 pages.
- Illustrations are discouraged.
- Please include a one-paragraph biographical note and contact information in your cover letter.
- At the beginning of your manuscript, please include a list of poems that appear elsewhere (in journals, magazines, chapbooks, or anthologies).
- Make certain your submission is your best draft. Corrections and revisions will not be accepted.
- New guideline: Please submit no more than two manuscripts per reading period. Each manuscript you submit is subject to a reading fee.
- Simultaneous submissions are permitted. If your manuscript is accepted for publication elsewhere, please officially withdraw it using the Submittable system.
- A $35 processing/reading fee will be charged for each submission, and will entitle poets in the U.S. to select two Copper Canyon Press titles from a list.
- We welcome submissions from poets outside of the United States. To offset shipping costs, we ask poets with international mailing addresses to either pay a higher submission fee OR to pay the lower fee and forgo the option to select complimentary Copper Canyon books.
- This is NOT a contest. While we take seriously the opportunity to consider your work for publication, there is no guarantee that we will choose a book to publish in any given reading period. The reading period and fees are intended to enable the continued consideration of unsolicited manuscripts.
- Please familiarize yourself with our mission, catalog, and submissions FAQ before submitting a manuscript.
- Translations should adhere to the general guidelines above, as well as the following.
- Copper Canyon Press takes pride in publishing high-quality translations. We have published poetry originally composed in Spanish, Chinese, Belarusian, Japanese, Arabic, and many other languages. We select books in this category based on the excellence of the English translation and our interest in the original text. It’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with translations we have already published.
- If possible, your submission should be bilingual; we want to see the original text as well as the English translation. If this is not possible due to technical or other concerns, indicate this in your cover letter.
- Indicate in your cover letter that you have identified the rights holder, unless the book is in the public domain. Ideally, a conversation regarding the rights to the book will have been engaged with the rights holder prior to your submission.
- In your cover letter, please provide a short biography of the author of the original text, as well as a short biography of yourself as translator.